Internal applications for the Manchester Metropolitan University / British Science Association (BSA) 2016 Media Fellowship are now open.
You have 3 weeks to apply for the opportunity to be placed by the British Science Association with a UK media host. The Fellowship comprises a training day, 2-6 week summer placem
ent, attendance at the British Science Festival
and a leadership day to present your
development and dissemination activities.
The deadline for applications in Monday 21st March and we have one fellowship position to award. Application packs and supporting materials can be accessed from Poppy Miszczak firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call 2832 for further details.
What is the BSA Media Fellowship scheme?
The scheme provides a unique opportunity for practising scientists, clinicians and engineers to spend 2 to 6 weeks working at the heart of a media outlet.
Fellows are mentored by professional journalists who help them to gain new skills and the confidence needed to engage with the media. Fellows tackle issues of mistrust and misrepresentation and give journalists the benefits of their scientific expertise.
After their media placement Fellows attend the British Science Festival in September, working alongside a range of media organisations from all over the UK in a dedicated Press Centre. They also receive a training day pre-placement and impact day post-placement to support their Fellowship.
The scheme reflects the British Science Association’s commitment to increasing the accessibility of the sciences and providing opportunities for discussion and debate.
The Media Fellowship is a 2-6 week placement, which can be arranged between the Fellow and Host anytime from the start of June to the end of August.
To be eligible to apply for the Media Fellowships scheme you have to be:
- a practising scientist, social scientist, clinician or engineer and have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in your field following your highest degree. PhD students are eligible although we don’t recommend it due to the heavy workload.
- employed, and based, part or full time in the UK or Ireland
- work at any level in an academic or research institution, industry, civil service or any other similar organisation
- have your line managers consent to be relieved on full pay for the period of the Fellowship. Annual leave may be used for part of the placement.
- agree to all the terms and conditions of the fellowship, including mandatory attendance to the training / leadership days and the financial support provided
How to apply
Application forms are available from:
Poppy Miszczak email@example.com or you can call 2832.
This deadline for all applications will be Monday 21st March 2016.
All applicants will be considered however there is only one position available!