MRC have just published their Delivery Plan 2016/17-2019/20. All Research Councils publish Delivery Plans as a final product of Government Spending Review. The Plans set out each Council’s funding priorities and outline the activities that they intend to undertake over a given period i.e. this is the document gives some genuine signposts as to what is coming up over next couple of years. We’ve provided a summary below.
The full document is available HERE.
- An outline of Priority Challenges: Infections (including a £30M Antimicrobial Resistance initiative); Lifelong Mental Health and Dementia (a new £150M UK Dementia Research Institute); Prevention; and Regenerative Medicine.
- Technology Touching Life (TTL) will be taken forwrd as a highlighted priority to foster interdisciplinary technology development research.
- The Stratified Medicine Initiative will: establish further consortia in disease areas that benefit from stratification but are currently under-represented; maxismise the scientific impact of the existing stratified medicine consortia and molecular pathology nodes; and link our consortia with MRC informatics investments.
- Continued investment in lat phase global health research to support phase studies wither partners e.g. Wellcome Trust, DFID, EDCTP and Global Alliance for Chronic Disease.
- Continued support for next generation of researchers.