The Leverhulme Trust have opened a call for their Doctoral Scholarships Programme: https://www.leverhulme.ac.uk/funding/grant-schemes/leverhulme-doctoral-scholarships. This grant (which had one previous call in 2014) is intended to support the next generation of doctoral scholars by offering:
- Ten awards of £1.05 million to UK universities
- Each will fund 15 Leverhulme Doctoral Scholarships – five scholarships must be offered in each year of the three-year grant
- The awards are offered in a subject area or thematic area that applicant universities have identified as a research priority
- The chosen area should be sufficiently broad to sustain five doctoral students in each of the three years of the grant, but it should also have a clear and coherent overarching thematic identity
- Bids submitted by a named PI and accompanied by a supporting statement from a designated representative, i.e. PVC for Research
- Closing date: 18 July 2017
- UK UNIVERSITIES MAY SUBMIT ONLY ONE APPLICATION
- Applications must comply with Leverhulme’s particular values and approach to grant-making e.g. boundary spanning, not suitable for RCUK, open to risk, intellectual curiosity, etc. See here: https://www.leverhulme.ac.uk/funding/our-approach-grant-making
- The strength of the case made by the University for the choice of subject area that has been identified as a priority for doctoral training at that institution. For example, does the chosen subject area support a research priority that is identified in the university’s strategic plan? Does it contribute to an existing area of research excellence? Or will it enable the university to innovate in a new field of research?
- How well the proposed scholarships fit within the applicant university’s current provision for doctoral training, and the extent to which the award would provide added value
- The extent to which the scholarships will deliver a legacy for the university’s research in the chosen area, and how well this legacy will be sustained beyond the three years of a Leverhulme Doctoral Scholarships grant.
As we can only submit one application, MMU is running an internal Expression of Interest for proposals that meet the criteria (delivered by a research team, but led by one named Principal Applicant). These will be reviewed by PVC for RKE, Faculty Heads of RKE and Director of RKE, with one selected to be developed as MMU’s institutional application. The proposed timetable is:
Call for EOIs promoted – w/c 27th Feb
- Deadline for EOIs – Friday 31st March
- EOIs discussed and nomination agreed at the Faculty Heads of RKE meeting – Thurs 6th April
- Nominated bid (if any) then developed for submission by Leverhulme deadline – 18th July.
The Expression of Interest form is here.
A list of the awards is 2014 is here.
Given the nature of this opportunity, we suggest to talk to your Research Centre Head so that EOIs can be coordinated. If you have any questions, please contact your Research Development Manager.