Research Professional recently posted an article which gave some insight into who The Wellcome Trust are and what they’re looking for in the applications they receive. To read the full article visit here, for a brief summary read on!
Some quick facts and figures about the trust
- They’re the worlds second largest research charity.
- Their remit isn’t just Biomedical sciences it also includes “humanities and social science research to improve and inform human health”
- They offer 15 different schemes (although some are only available to current award holders)
- The funding ranges from £5k – £7m
- Most schemes are based on a responsive mode but occasionally there are themed calls available, as well as awards for career development.
What makes a good proposal and what are they looking for?
Whilst, like every funder, Wellcome are looking for an ambitious project it must also be feasible. Overall what the committee members want to see is:
- Novel, ambitious ideas answering a specific research question.
- A well thought out team with the knowledge and expertise needed to answer that question.
- Robust and appropriate methodology.
- Value for money.
Thinking of applying to Wellcome?
You can find what funding is currently available via the Wellcome Trust website.
If there is something you’d like to apply for, or simply want to discuss a potential Wellcome proposal then please get in touch with your Research Development Team.