Wellcome Trust have announced a new Seed Award, in Humanities and Social Science, around the theme of artificial intelligence focusing on the ethical, social and political challenges of using artificial intelligence in healthcare and biomedical research.
Funding Amount: £25,000 – £100,000
Duration: 12 – 18 months
Wellcome highlights ten areas of particular interest where they believe new research is needed:
- What effect will AI have on human relationships in health and care?
- How is the use, storage and sharing of medical data impacted by AI?
- What are the implications of issues around algorithmic transparency and explainability on health?
- Will these technologies help eradicate or exacerbate existing health inequalities?
- What is the difference between an algorithmic decision and a human decision?
- What do patients and members of the public want from AI and related technologies?
- How should these technologies be regulated?
- Just because these technologies could enable access to new information, should we always use it?
- What makes algorithms, and the entities that create them, trustworthy?
- What are the implications of collaborations between public and private sector organisations in the development of these tools?
Your proposal may address one of the questions above or something along a similar topic.
For more information about the award please visit the Wellcome Trust website.
If you’d like to apply for this award then please get in touch with Research Development via our email.
The application deadline is 26th June.